Sunday, 23 June 2013

I Cant Pay My Rent This Month What Do I Do in 2013?

If you're going to find it hard to cover the rent this month and you're worried about being evicted from your home then this guide will help go get yourself together. There are a number of options that you could explore when your're facing difficulties when paying your rent. This guide will suggest some tips, offer advice and list some of the other options that you could check out if you're circumstances are getting desperate. The guide contains important links to resources that many people in similar circumstances have found invaluable, please bookmark this and share it with others that might find it helpful, leave a comment if this guide has helped.

The most important thing to bear in mind is that you're not alone and help is available, everyone suffers a setback from time to time, the important thing is that we bounce back much stronger.


#1: Inform Your Landlord Immediately in Writing

The first step you should take is not the easiest but it's essential, notify your landlord that you're experience financial hardship and you're not going to be able to pay your rent this month, let the landlord know the reasons and then let them know what steps you are taking to get the money together on a permanent basis. You can put your circumstances in writing if you're having problems communicating with your landlord or if you feel uneasy talking about the subject. If you're being harassed then help is available, I have included a link below which explains how you write a hardship letter for delinquent rent, another link offers how to handle harassment.

How to Write a Hardship Letter to Landlord for Delinquent Rent

What Can I Do If I'm Being Harassed By My Landlord

#2: Sort Your Finances Out

If you're facing financial hardship then it's time you confronted your demons and sorted your finances out, it's easier said than done however once you get it out of the way you'll feel much better. Create a income and expenditure financial statement, list all your income and expenses and go through them with a fine tooth-comb. Cut needless spending and then try to make the ends meet. If you're on a very low income and it's impossible for you then there is help available (will be discussed later). If you're really terrible with your personal finance then try following some great blogs. The blogs listed below helped me get my finances back together and now I've been paying my rent on a regular basis without missing any payments. You can also use the  income and expenses statement so that you can show your landlord that your taking positive steps to overcome the rental delinquency by cutting costs and prioritizing your spending. 

Income and Expenses Statement

Best Personal Finance Blog in the World - Not an Understatement!

#3: Don't Get in More Debt

If you're having difficulties paying your rent because of debt then do not use more debt to cover your rent, the deeper into debt you get the harder it will become to pay on a regular basis. If you do have a high ratio of debt compared to your income then it's time to call you're creditors and let them know that your experiencing financial difficulties and you want interest and minimum payments reduced. Cut your credit cards up and stop using them until you get your financial house in order. Talking with my creditors helped reduce my payments by more than 50%, talking to a debt counselor helped to stop all my interest which made more pressing expenses like rent possible.

Talk to Creditors to Lower Interest and Minimum Payments

Talk to Debt Counseling Experts to get Your Debt Reduced.

#4 Get Help from the Government 

If you're on a very low income of have experienced poverty, financial despair or disaster recovery or are unemployed you can turn to public assistance for help. There are many programs that you can explore to reduce your expenses, you can even get help towards your rent. Check to see what benefits you might be eligible for and then look for any rental assistance programs that could help you. I have listed all the options that you can explore for rental assistance below as well as other programs that could reduce your monthly expenses, rental assistance comes in the form of rental subsidy to landlords, Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8).

Help for Financial Difficult Times
Unemployment Benefits
Help Feeding Your Family
Help Paying Your Rent
Help Paying Your Mortgage

#5: Help From Friends and Family

If you're already on the streets then it's time to swallow your pride and ask for help, delaying will only make things worse, if your family member or friends are willing to help then you're slowly taking positive steps to get out of hardship, if they refuse you'll only be back where you are now and you'll know who your friends are. Meet with your family members and friends, explain your circumstances and ask for help, more often than not you will receive help.

#6 Places to Stay if You're Homeless

If you're homeless and you cant turn to friends and family members then there are a number of agencies that you can turn to. I have included a link which offers invaluable resources for people who are homeless, are on the brink of becoming homeless or know someone who has become homeless.

Resources for Homeless Persons

If you're facing difficulties with your rent then it's time to open up and share the problem, take positive steps and improve your finances, look for ways to increase your income and lower your costs. Check for any help you can get from the government and always keep your landlord in the loop. 

14 comments:

  1. Please feel free to forward this guide to anyone who might need help. Also please leave a comment if you know any helpful programs that could help anyone having rental difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've recently just had a baby
    (june15, 2013) i had a high
    risk pregnancy so i was out
    of work. i have 2 other
    children 2 and 4 and 3 days
    after i got out of the
    hospital i was evicted from
    my home, my rent was
    raised to 1200.00 and i
    could not afford it. me and
    my family are now
    homeless and we need
    rental assistance to move
    into a new home. the
    shelters aren't accceting
    anyone and we are really in
    need of a new home

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this will help. I have recently tried binary options trading and I was able to get a sizeable return from my trades. When compounded, the amount that I got totaled to what I can use for my household expense, rent included. Brush up on what you may be missing with optionfair review site ouroptionfairreview.com and you will certainly appreciate this in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant believe I am on here and how far my family has fallen from the light of green glow around us with the ability to pay our bills. and live in a comfortable place . but 2 almost 3 years ago i lost all my sight and we lost half of our income and back last spring my husband starting battling ptsd and and other medical problems that has stopped him from working, we went from a 300,000 home to a 3 bed room single wide trailer that we rent. we have gone through all our savings both 401ks and sold everything to keep going , i draw a small check via the state of missouri for 711 its a blind pension check and my son has a ss from his bio father that is 453 a month this is all we have and 246 in food stamps. this is about to kill us my bill are much more than we can pay. i have tried to keep up on them all however i have failed miserably. i have borrowed and pawned till there is no one or anything left to get rid of. we have even sold our only car.i tried to get a business going via on line thing however i applied for a loan and i think it has turned out to be a scam via the UK AND THE OTHER LOAN I HAVE APPLIED FOR I WILL HAVE TO WAIT 4 MONTHS FOR IT TO COME IN. my landlord says either we pay up or we are out, I am beside my self with worries and disrepair.i have even did the western union loan thing only to find they took 450 dollars of our money we didnt have to spare and no loan there either . i dont know where to put my trust anymore. seems like the real people are all gone and good did DIE OFF.i pray on this day an night in hopes some way some how i will find a angel or so money tree . so far neither have showed, my business is at a stand still because i cant get a real start up loan or someone to take a chance on someone like me . credit scores are shot to the point swish cheese has less wholes and i cant climb out of this whole my husband had even tried to commit suicide because he now feels like a failure as he has worked his whole life and now can not. with the bills piling up scam artist that pray on people like us how in the world will people ever boot strap and start over. which is what i want to do. im not asking for a hand out im begging anyone for a hand UP SOMEONE TO GIVE ME A SHOT AT MAKING ONE LAST GO OF OUR LIVES BEFORE I LOOSE IT ALL.I THINK I HAVE TILL FRIDAY ON THE RENT WHICH IS 1200.00 AND AS FAR AS THE BUSINESS WELL . IF YOUD LIKE TO KNOW MORE YOU CAN EMAIL ME AND ILL SEND YOU THE PROPOSAL FOR YOU TO GO OVER . THANK YOU FOR LOOKING AND READING MRS TRONA L SWAFFORD DONIPHAN MISSOURI tronaswafford@yahoo.com 573 996 9066

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi...just trying this because I really dont like asking for money. I recently lost my car from repo man and my rent is behind. I had some tough times with my daughter who is 16. I quit my job in 2012 because I found out that my daughter was abusing drugs and have been struggling with this for 2 years. I recently admitted my daughter to a facility where she will be staying for awhile. I would like to get my life back together and would like to have my place up to date with rent and a car with wheels and tires, basically doesnt matter if its from 1976. I can now look for work freely and not worry while my daughter gets the help she needs. My contact is marmolejos28@yahoo.com or 973-405-9974...appreciate it and God bless you all with your hardships. My name is Jessica by the way. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you need a loan to set up your own private business or to pay off your
    bills? apply now via Email queenwilliam001@gmail.com apply with Name:
    Country: Amount Needed: Loan Duration: Phone:

    Company E-mail: queenwilliam001@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi I am in desperate need to save my home, I have a council home and years ago I lost my child and my benefits stopped for my child and now im on nothing I live with my husband but as soon as he is pais after all the bills the day after its gone. we are in severe dept I owe over 20 grand to depters and 400 on my rent, I just want to be dept free and sort my life out, I have no job due a medical condition, ive applied to so many jobs. please can someone help. my name is jenny and my email address is jennifer597@sky.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Facing eviction today...been financially sable up until end of last month. Single, part-time Mom who works from home as a freelance consulant, I lost a large client to whom I was dependent upon for income. I am barely making $120/week. I owe rent TODAY with court/late fees $1553.00..never had nor want eviction; local charities are backed up. Family cannot help; friends I just cannot ask...any suggestions - I have until 1:00 pm MST... giacozzie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son Michael has been evicted from his home because his line of work is on hold due to heavy snow (Cheyenne WY). You see he has made a name for himself as selling roofs for Ready Roofer, don't get paid if the job isn't finished...while waiting he has recently broke his hand and told that he might need surgery (no insurance). The electricity has been turned off to get him out quicker (below 15 the other morning). He has exhausted all his resources for help and now his child support is due again. He found a realtor to put him into a place but needs 1st months rent (has waved deposit) $1,000. That isn't including the expenses to have someone help him move because of his bad hand. As a mother, I've been placed on social security due to Breast Cancer issues. I am currently in recovery and Michael took money last summer to see my grandchildren because we could not afford it and I was unable to travel. I am praying to God that someone can help him, if you can write me at tz_leo@yahoo.com I promise that this is no scam, he can give you any resource to check out his story. Write for more information and thank you for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe I ask billionaire and millionaire and I expelled my situation no one can't help me I don't believe if rich people can help poor people look next week I have leave my house because of I didn't have no money to pay my bills and rent I have married I have two children 1 he's two months another one he's three years old please I really need help even Christmas i don't have nothing to do my family please help me if you want you can share your family and friends contact 0033 605 868 118 or jaiteh_seedia@yahoo.com please help me my is Mr. jaiteh thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have tried writing this 3 times now and am having difficulty asking for help.. For 12 yrs I have struggled to keep a roof over my now 12 yr daughter head, pay for food and to keep a car to be able to get to work.. My ex husband was very abusive (he's been gone since my girl was a baby, however with even with multiple arrests and restraining orders he was still able to make our life a living hell .. I now suffer from fibromyalgia which the docs say was brought on by PTSD from all that we endured. In the last yr my symptoms have become worse. Some days my girls has to help me out of bed, just so I can drag myself to work. Its effecting my ability to work and has just brought us down.. I finally started getting foodstamps but they refuse to give me help for rent assistance.. my food stamps barely give us the fresh foods for 2 weeks I need to help with my symptoms. All I ask for for relief just for a month so I might be able to be a little stress free.. again I cant believe I am writing this but I just cant do it anymore.. I have to be out of work for a yr to even be considered for disability.. that's just crazy, how can one survive that ?? I also have not in 12 yrs added a a companion for my self, I guess because my life is just to complicated to add another to the mix.. I just turned 50 this month .. and I am just plain tired.. Thanks for reading .. c_eggleston63@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK. I am desperate and will try this. Please don't send me any online scams as I will see right thru it immediately. Since Congress did not extend the long term unemployment benefits I have exhausted all my income. I was laid off 4/26/2013 and am currently using 6 different staffing agencies to help me find employment and I apply to a minimum of 25 jobs a day, whether via in person or online. I was laid off the day I asked my employer to add me to the Health Insurance Program. I have no issues that impair me in any way. I am a Full Charge Bookkeeper, OSHA Safety Administrator/Project Manager/Estimating Assistant by trade but will take any job to keep my income going. I own a home but rented it out so I would not lose it. The renters payment goes to the Mortgage Company. I am getting Food Share Assistant of $118.00 per month. Since my only child is not a minor, there are no programs for me to get assistance for rent. My motto was always if you work hard you can achieve anything. I was a single Mom since my son was 18 months old. His father was a great father and has always been in the picture. We got along very well because you have to in order to give your child a healthy substantial life. I am not looking for money necessarily. I want a job. I want to work for what I earn, but that has become a futile attempt. My profession went from 100 to 0 when the recession hit. I was not affected until 2010, but since then, it is ridiculous. The percentage of jobs available vs. job applicants is completely ridiculous. I don't want any online scams sent to me or any quick rich offers. I want a legitimate job offer. I am currently living in Northeast Illinois but can work in either Wisconsin or Illinois. I do not have my rent money for next month. I will run out of money in two weeks. I had to cut corners and will not pay my car insurance this month. I want to pay the minimum of my 2 credit cards (total $50.00) & my cell phone. I also need money for gas soon. I started growing my credit again and this is the only reason I have these credit cards. If I have to I will have to let those go to! I am an intelligent woman that can take on any job task, I just need the opportunity. I am not too proud to work a minimum wage job. I can be reached via my e-mail at: Libbycpc@yahoo.com PLEASE NO SCAMS OR WORK AT HOME JOBS!!!!! DON'T EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME CONTACTING ME FOR THESE THINGS. I WILL REPORT YOU IMMEDIATELY TO THE FBI INTERNET WEB SCAM SITE! Any job offers or legitimate advice is truly appreciated. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Angels of Mercy,
    I will be concise because I'm sure you have many more important things to attend to.
    On January 7th my house / our home will be up for auction at the Warner Robins / Houston County Court House in Warner Robins, Georgia. It may already be too late for us. If we get evicted from our home, it will be the most devastating and demoralizing thing to ever happen to us and I literally don't know where we'll go. Everything I've worked for will be lost because I can't imagine where we'll put all our belongings we've acquired over the years.
    My two boys I fear for the most. They will be crushed and their world will unravel. Their school, their friends and safe familiar neighborhood will be a fleeting memory. Please Help. We live modestly. I am a good man with no criminal record of any kind. No substance abuse, no gambling nor vices. We are good people; friendly, caring, charitable citizens but, two years ago I became unemployed. I have tried extremely hard to find a good steady job like I had before but still it all falls short. I've worked all of my life without ever needing public assistance. I always had a descent job. I had a 22 year carrier in the USAFR. I/we do not deserve to be subjected to hopelessness and despair. The economy has destroyed my credit. I spent all my savings over the last two years trying to stay afloat. I want to work. I want to have hope but my mind is consumed with the fear of homelessness. I'm not suicidal but it does cross my mind. My self esteem and self confidence have been beaten down from this unnecessary and unfair sequence of events. I have nowhere to turn nor anyone to turn to. Please, help me keep our home. I've been humbled. The lack of money is the root of all misery. I need a second chance to make it all right.
    Your foundation is really my last hope. I've often thought what I'd do if I'd won the lottery and I truly always come to the conclusion that I'd definitely give most of it away. I envy you. You can bring such quick relief to pain, loss and suffering with just the stroke of your pen. That must feel good. I wish I could do it. If I'm being crass, forgive me. Right now I'm not my old self.
    I just can't lose this house. It would surely be the end of us. Please someone, please anyone give me a second chance to make it all right again. Maybe you could just buy my house and let me start paying you. At 61 years of age I will receive a pension from the USAFR; anything . . . anything . . . .please.
    Sincerely,
    Matthew E Smith
    niacin777@gmail.com (478) 953-6920

    ReplyDelete
  14. I lost my retail banking job in Nov 13. My husband was let go while on medical leave from his gas station job in early 2013. We have 4 small children and only my unemployment insurance of $1200 a month. We have one car that we are about to lose because we are behind more than 30 days. We cannot pay rent for April because we have decide between phones, lights, water, and gas in the car as well as rent. $3,000 would mean the world to the six of us right now. After my husband and I putting in a combined 600 applications for jobs, we have yielded nothing. The $3,000 would help us get back on track and ride out our lease (up in July 2014) so we can move away and stay in a hotel because we cannot afford anything anymore. Our kids have no shampoo, soap, toothpaste, or toys. We're doing the best we can. We were even told on the AHA Website that we qualified for Medicaid but TX doesn't offer it so I cannot afford my medications nor can my husband afford his hernia surgery. I mean, if anyone is able to assist, please e-mail me at trina83houston@gmail.com. I AM a REAL PERSON with a real family and a stressful situation. I hate asking like this, but we can't get payday loans or credit cards and we only have about $25 in our bank account that has to last until....well...the middle of April until I get more UI. If anyone is out there, please respond. Even more so than free money, a job would be sweet. 817-264-1398. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Custom Search